fortune-of-africa-countries-air-flightuganda-banner
Sir Samuel Baker Fort at Patiko

Sir Samuel Baker Fort at Patiko

Background
Fort Patiko was a military fort built by Samuel Baker in Patiko, Uganda and the Construction of the fort was completed on December 25, 1872. Sir Samuel Baker’s Fort at Patiko is located 30 km from Gulu Town in Ajulu parish, Patiko sub-county, Aswa County.  The fort was initially constructed by the Arabs as a slave collection centre. Sir Samuel Baker took over the fort from 1872 to 1888 when he was sent on a mission by the Queen of England to stop the slave trade which was being carried out by the Arabs slave traders. The slaves were being sent to Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Turkey and Somalia. The fort then became the headquarters for Emin Pasha and Gordon, the respective Governors of the Equatorial Province of the British Protectorate.

The fort which Sir Samuel Baker took over had the following divisions which were instrumental to the Arab slave traders:

  •  The industrial area
  •   Court yard
  •   Prosecution Chamber- by (firing squad/beheading)
  •   Concrete stores
  •   Administrative Chamber