Winston Churchill in his 1908 Book “My African Journey” called Uganda the Pearl of Africa because of its beauty, its natural wonders and its welcoming people. Uganda is the Pearl of Africa because of the following reasons among others;
- Uganda is one of Africa’s friendliest, most secure and stable country
- Ugandans are welcoming people with rich culture;
- The country has fertile soils;
- Uganda has a good climate;
- Uganda is the source of the Nile;
- Most bio-diverse country in Africa;
- Home of mountain gorillas and forest chimpanzees;
- The equator passes through the country;
- White sand beaches on Lake Victoria Africa biggest fresh water lake;
- The country has snow peaked mountains and
- Uganda is a home of the Big Five animals
- 25% of the area of Uganda is covered with rivers , swamps and lakes;
- Uganda has over 1,000 species of birds;
- Uganda Wildlife Authority manages 10 national parks and 12 wildlife reserves. It also manages five community wildlife management areas and 13 wildlife sanctuaries.
- Uganda has a diverse culture with over forty languages being spoken.
- Part of the Great Rift Valley occupies part of western Uganda.
- The ancient traditional kingdoms of Buganda, Bunyoro-Kitara, Busoga and Toro are still in existence.