Investment opportunities in Education Sector
The following are investment opportunities in Education Sector
- Investment in pre-primary level of education-Government currently does not own any pre-primary school although increasingly it is getting interested in standardizing its curriculum. With most primary schools giving admission preference to pupils who have attended pre-primary, the number of pre-primary schools will closely follow those of the primary schools overtime. Opportunities for investment are abound in this segment of education.
- Primary Education-Uganda’s success in expanding primary education – with more than doubling primary school enrollment from about 3.5 million in 1997 to over 8 million by the end of 2010 – has created enormous investment opportunities for private investors in the post-primary education levels. This level calls for more investments to be able to cope with the numbers of pupils benefitting from the Universal Primary Education programme.
- Provision of secondary education – The absorption capacity for post-primary / secondary education only allows for less than half the number of students leaving primary education.
- Provision of technical and vocational education – demand for technical skills training in industry-related skills due to the country’s industrial growth. Specifically, there is an acute demand for skills training in industry related skills i.e. welding and metal fabrication, carpentry and joinery, printing, motor vehicle mechanics, basic maintenance of industrial plant and machinery, electrical installation works, plumbing, masonry and concrete works etc.
- The newly developed oil and gas sector presents opportunities for technical and vocational training that has been non-existent in the country.
- Provision of in-service specialized training programmes to redress the imbalance of availability of unskilled or semi-skilled labour versus managerial and technical experts.
- Provision of agricultural skills and development education –Opportunities exist for specialized skills training at various levels of the industry chain in fields of crop and animal husbandry, land management, horticulture, artificial insemination, fish farming, silkworm rearing and agricultural mechanization.
- Provisions of managerial skills development education – Potential areas to be targeted include project planning and management, human resource management, small business management, finance and accounting, hotel management etc.
- Tertiary level of education-There are enormous opportunities for investment at the tertiary education level especially in establishing quality universities in view of the fact that there are so many students who qualify to join university education but unable due to the limited space available with the current establishments
- Research and provision of innovative ways of education
- Creating links between UK and Uganda Universities to provide UK education in Uganda – To bring UK qualifications/accreditation closer
- Professional development for Teachers
- Provision of soft skills for professionals and creating networking forums
- Social Enterprise
- Setting up international schools
- Setting up private Universities and branch universities
- Technical and vocational training
- Technology based education
- Distance education