Fort Portal Town is located Western Uganda in Fort Portal District. It is about 320 Km Kampala City. Fort Portal Town is known for its cleanness and is named after Sir Gerald Portal, a British Special Commissioner for Uganda, whose statue graces the main road of the town.
In 2011, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population of the town at 47,100.
The following key attractions are located around Fort Portal Town:
- The Toro Palace located on top of the hill.
- Amabere ga Nyinamwiru (Breasts of Nyinamwiru) daughter of King Bukuku of the Batembuzi dynasty.
- Sir Gerald Portal statue which lies at the main road of the town
- The Karambi Tombs the burial grounds of Omukama Kasagama & Rukidi III. They are located 5km on Fort Portal – Kasese Road.
- Toro golf course
- Toro Botanical Gardens.
Fort Portal is famous for its tea. This area is gifted by nature with a cool climate which ensures a relatively slow plant growth rate resulting in the production of high quality tea.
- St Leo’s College, Kyegobe built in 1921
- Nyakasura School founded in 1926
- Mountain of the Moon University- The University is located about 1 Km from the central business district of the town.
- Uganda Pentecostal University- It is located approximately 1 Km on Fort Portal –Bwamba Road.