Animals and Fisheries Sector
Animals and fisheries sector is one of the growing sectors of South Sudan with livestock and fisheries sub-sectors contributing 5% annually to improvements in food security, household income, job creation and the national Gross Domestic Product (GDP). The animals sub-sector include cattle, goats, pigs, sheep and poultry.
South Sudan is endowed with considerable inland fishery resources centered on River Nile, its tributaries, swamps and other wetlands including the Sudd, which is the largest wetland in Africa averaging over 30,000 km2, all of which support enormous aquatic resources. The current annual fish catch is however estimated at around 30,000 . The country has the potential for fish catch up to 300,000 tons per year.
South Sudan has the sixth biggest herd in Africa 11.7million cattle, 12.3million sheep, and 12.6million goats, and the national cattle herd structure is 70% female with an estimated asset value of SSP. 7.0 billion.
Livestock and livestock products demand and total consumption stands at 173,000 cattle, 973,000 goats and 633,000 sheep. Over 95% of this demand met through domestic supply
Ministry of Animal Resources and Fisheries
The Ministry has a mandate of promotion, regulation and facilitation of livestock and fisheries production, including value-addition and access to credit and regional markets; for food security, poverty alleviation and socio-economic development of South Sudan.
The Ministry of Animal Resources and Fisheries performs the following functions and duties:
- Formulation of effective policy framework and strategic plans, regulations, laws, rules, standards, quality assurance and control for the development of the animal and fisheries resources.
- Provision of policy guidance and monitoring/documenting the performance of the livestock and fisheries sectors.
- Development and coordination of Planning for the development of the livestock and fisheries sectors.
- Ensuring prevention of environmental degradation through promotion of pasture and soil conservation and the sustainable exploitation of productive natural resources.
- Identification and promotion of investment opportunities and encouraging private enterprise in the livestock and fisheries sectors.
- Human resource training in the fields of animal production and fisheries.
- Provision of technical advice on animal health and disease control policies and the development and implementation of plans to improve livestock health and production.
- Regulation and quality assurance in the privatized delivery of veterinary services and supplies.
- Monitoring and investigation of the prevalence, spread and impact of animal diseases.
- Supporting a meat inspection service at appropriate levels of government and the development of modern abattoirs.
- Promotion and coordination of partnership between public institutions and private livestock and fisheries enterprises, and provision of technical assistance for the transformation of traditional production practices into modern market-oriented systems.
- Promotion of improved fishing, fish handling and fish processing technologies to improve the quality and quantity of fish catches in South Sudan.
- Ensuring the sustainability of the fisheries sector through the development and enforcement of policies and regulations governing the exploitation of fish stocks.
- Promotion and development of aquaculture fish production.
- Promotion of effective community-based extension programmes in the livestock and fisheries sectors.
- Promotion of the development of a bee-keeping industry and productive enterprises based on the sustainable exploitation and management of other emerging livestock resources.
- Promotion of animal welfare.
- Provision of technical assistance and training to MARF at the State and local government levels, building capacity in the States for the assumption of responsibilities for animal resources and fisheries matters.
- Responsibility for the planning, coordination and supervision of surveys/censuses aimed at quantifying the status of natural resources, livestock and fisheries stocks, and
- Promotion of gender-equitable policy and mainstreaming of gender considerations in livestock and fisheries sectors.
Information about South Sudan has been summarized to include the following.