Facilitations of the Agriculture sector
The government of Rwanda has done the following to facilitate the agriculture sector;
- Government increased the agriculture budget from Rwf 67.1 billion in the 2011/12 fiscal year to Rwf 78.3 billion in the current financial year.
- Rwf67b was allocated to the agriculture ministry and Rwf9.4b to the Rwanda Agricultural Board (RAB) the optimal centre for food production.
- Government has invested heavily in farm inputs, land consolidation, fertilisers and extension services in order to ensure enhanced food production.
- Government of Rwanda considers cooperative development as a key component of the sector development.
- Government is funding agriculture and investment from the private sector remains vital to ensuring enough food for the country,
- Agricultural transformation has been identified as one of the major pillars for achieving the Vision 2020 goals by the government
- Through National Agricultural Policy there have been conditions favourable to sustainable development and promotion of agricultural and livestock production and national food security.
- Rwanda Agriculture sector delivery grant to increase agriculture productivity in view to reduce poverty through economy wide growth led by the agricultural sector
- Specific constraints are being addressed to reduce any barriers to private sector investment and the government has identified growing regional and global markets for the diverse range of Rwandan produce.
- Commercialisation and use of technology are seen as key strategies to further develop of the agriculture sector.