- The maintenance costs are high because of the climate which is brought about by intense rainfall that washes away road surfaces hence requiring damage mitigation
- Rwanda has various hills and valleys which make it had to construct roads in those areas.
- There is no reliable local road transportation in place.
- Rwanda’s budget not big enough to meet the high financial expenditure on road construction and maintenance
- The rapidly increasing population challenges the infrastructural development hence the demand being more than the supply
- Rwanda is landlocked hence there is a high transportation costs.
- Lack of Rwandan professionals like civil engineers and surveyors to manage the sector.
- Low income which makes it hard for some people to afford some means of transport within the country
- Insufficient affordable and accessible modes of transport for some people in the rural areas.