Rwanda has been growing avocado fruit for some time and the local variety has is superior in taste. The country produces about 141,130 tons of avocado fruit every year.
Areas that grow avocado fruit
The fruit is grown all over the country and leading avocado producing areas include the following:
- Gisagara district
Varieties of avocado
Rwanda grows varieties of avocado which include the following:
Uses of avocado
The avocado fruit has the following uses:
- It is known to inhibit the growth of prostate cancer.
- It generates income for the local farmers
- It is eaten as food when ripe.
- The avocado olive oil is high in oleic acid which prevents breast cancer.
- Avocado oil is cholesterol free.
- High levels of folate in avocado are also protective against strokes.
The farmers face the following challenges:
- Quality seedlings are not readily available to the farmer.
- The local farmers do not have adequate knowledge of the market as therefore their production is not market driven
- There is no large export market for local avocadoes.
- The domestic market for the local variety appears to be in balance regarding supply and demand.
- There is competition in the supply of avocados from neighboring countries.
- The local farmers lack the capacity to add value to their produce.