Tourism in Mauritius
Tourism in Mauritius is an important component of the Mauritian economy as well as a significant source of its foreign exchange revenues. The tourism industry is also a major economic pillar on the island; however tourism has not been developed in Agaléga Islands.
The beauty of Mauritius is beyond words. Rich with lush forest, wild waterfalls, unique wildlife, Rocky Mountains, white sand beaches and breathtaking crystal clear turquoise lagoons, Mauritius is a dream holiday destination for tourists from all over the world.
Mauritius possesses a wide range of natural attractions as well as many man-made attractions, all for you to enjoy a sub-tropical climate, clear postcard beaches, calm sea conditions, tropical fauna and flora complemented by a multi-ethnic and cultural population that is friendly and welcoming.
Ministry of Tourism and Leisure
The ministry’s mission towards tourism is to develop and champion tourism activities so as to build the sector into a key engine of growth and to make of Mauritius the best island destination in the world.
Objectives/Aims of the Ministry
- To promote Mauritius worldwide as a prime holiday island destination.
- To pursue the upmarket and selective tourism policy.
- To plan, manage and control tourism development in Mauritius.
- To define, adjust and implement sustainable tourism strategies which are environmentally sound, socially acceptable and economically viable.
- To institute a legal and operational framework to plan, monitor and regulate tourism activities in line with the defined tourism strategies and policies.
- To provide support, incentives and assistance to approved tourism projects in line with the defined strategies and policies
- To maintain Mauritius as an attractive and desirable tourist destination.
- To promote the development of family-oriented leisure amenities for Mauritius.
- To ensure the development of quality beach related tourism facilities and activities.
- To diversify the Mauritius tourism product by encouraging eco and cultural tourism.
Mauritius Tourism Promotion Authority (MPTA)
The MPTA is a statutory board under the Ministry of Tourism and Leisure of Mauritius established in 1996 by the MPTA Act. The task of the MPTA is to promote the country’s tourism industry, provide information to tourists on facilities, infrastructures and services, to initiate action to promote cooperation with the other tourism agencies, to conduct research into market trends and market opportunities and disseminate such information and other relevant statistical data on Mauritius.
Tourism in Mauritius information has been summarized to include the following;
Top Tourist Attractions of Mauritius
Tourist arrivals in Mauritius
Mauritius Airport Status
Mauritius Forex Exchange
Mauritius Immigration Authority
For more reading