Companies approved under the Investment Code enjoy a number of tax and customs incentives. Three licensing schemes are provided for the current Investment Code, namely:
- Scheme A, for small and medium-size enterprises. It concerns investments below CFAF 150 million.
- Scheme B, for large enterprises with investments equivalent to or above CFAF 150 million;
- Free zone scheme, for new export-oriented enterprises, which can sell up to 20% of their output on the domestic market.
- Starting a new activity:
- Developing an existing activity: exemption, for one (1) year, from import duties and taxes on: equipment, machinery, tools, spare parts and building materials required for implementing the approved program; this period is the same for schemes A and B.
- New promoters taking over and rehabilitating a public enterprise under a public enterprise privatization program enjoy the benefits of schemes A and B, depending on the investments amount.
- Enterprises approved under the free zone scheme benefit, for a period of thirty (30) years, from total exemption from all duties and taxes in the exercise of their activities. However, these enterprises are authorized to sell 20% of their output on the local market and pay all the required duties and taxes on that.
- Exemption during the investment for a period of three (3) years, from import duties and taxes on: equipment, machinery, tools, spare parts and building materials required for implementing the approved program; this period is the same for schemes A and B ;
- Exemption from corporate and license taxes; the exemption period is eight (8) years for scheme B and five (5) years for scheme A.
Industry specific incentives
- Enterprises processing local raw materials (enterprises using at least 60% of local raw materials and consumables) also enjoy the benefits provided for schemes A and B, exemption for four (4) additional financial years, from company tax and corporate tax, as well as license tax. The additional period will be six (6) years for enterprises located in geographical zones outside of Bamako.
- Enterprises developing technological innovations receive a 5% deduction from the flat tax rate normally paid by employers on salaries and wages due to employees of Malian nationality.