View Nakuru Town Main Features in a larger map
Nakuru Town is located north-west of Nairobi and is the fourth largest urban centre in Kenya. It is situated at an altitude of 1850 m above the sea level and located on 0017S36004E. Nakuru has an area of 290 km2 of which 44km2 are covered by Lake Nakuru. It is 139 km from Nairobi and 579 km from Mombasa.
Nakuru once dubbed “the cleanest town in East-Africa” was established by the British as a railway outpost part of the White highlands during the colonial era. It received township status in 1904 and became a municipality in 1952. The name ‘Nakuru’ is derived from Nakurro, the Maasai word meaning a “dusty place”.
According to the census done by Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, in 2009 Nakuru County had a population of 1,603, 325 people.
Bicycle taxis, motorbikes, special hire taxis and minibuses (matatus) are the common means of transport within Nakuru Town.
Nakuru Town falls under Nakuru County which has 6 sub counties;
- Nakuru town
Nakuru County is headed by Governor Kinuthia Mbugua.
Bird watchers’ paradise
Nakuru is world-famous owing to over a million flamingos that come to Lake Nakuru to eat the algae forming at the bottom of the alkaline shallow lake. The lake is also home to about 450 other species of birds including pelicans, storks and gulls as well numerous species of migratory birds.
The information about Nakuru town has been summarized as follows;