The Mombasa “Tusks” represent the entrance into the heart of Mombasa City. They were built in 1952 to honor the visit of Queen Elizabeth to Mombasa. The tusks cross the dual carriageway.
During that period, Ivory was seen as an exquisite commodity and the tusks were meant to be a sign of having embraced the Queen and the British realm. Coincidentally the tusks also spell the letter “M” for Mombasa.