Kenya Vision 2030
Kenya Vision 2030 is the country’s new development covering the period 2008 to 2030. It aims to transform Kenya into a newly industrialising, “middle-income country providing a high quality life to all its citizens by the year 2030”.
The following are the priority areas in the Vision of Kenya 2030
Development of 3 resort cities two at the coast and one in Isiolo.
- Premium Park Initiative.
- Under Utilized Parks Initiative.
- Development of Niche Tourism Products.
- Enactment of the Consolidated Agricultural Reform Bill.
- Fertilizer Cost-Reduction Initiative.
- Setting up of five livestock Disease Free Zones in the ASAL regions.
- Land registry.
- Land use master plan.
- ASAL Development Projects.
- Development of Special Economic Zones in all the eight regions.
- Development of 5 SME parks.
Wholesale & Retail Sector
- Build 1 free trade port in Mombasa in order to bring Dubai to Kenya.
- Create at least 10 hubs and 1000-1500 Producer Business Groups (PBGs)- start with a pilot in Maragua.
- Build at least 10 Tier 1 marks in all the regions – starting with a pilot in Athi River.
ICT & Business Processing Outsourcing (BPO) Sector
Establish one major BPO park.
- Issuance of benchmark sovereign bond.
- Pursue comprehensive remittances strategy
- Develop and execute comprehensive model for pension reform.
- Facilitate transformation towards stronger, larger scale banks.
Governance, Security and Rule of Law
- Constitutional initiatives.
- Rule of law (Judicial, Legal reform initiatives and Security and Policing reforms).
- Transparency and accountability (Develop a national programme on attitudinal change to inculcate a culture of compliance with the efficiency norms).
- Building a non-partisan professional research centre to enrich Parliamentary law-making.
Public Service Reform
- Establish Kenya School of Government.
Population, Urbanization and Housing Sector
- To develop an integrated growth and development strategy for six metropolitan regions, Nairobi, Mombasa, Kisumu, Kakamega, Eldoret, Wajir, Garissa, Mandera, Kitui, Mwingi, Meru.
- To develop a National Land Use Master Plan.
- Enact the Housing Bill 2006.
- Establish secondary mortgage Finance Corporation.
- Produce 200,000 housing units annually.
- Install physical and social infrastructure in slums in 20 urban areas.
- Position the city of Nairobi as a 24 hour and all round globally competitive city in business and tourism.
- Establish housing technology centers in each constituency to increase access to decent housing.
Gender, Youth & Vulnerable Groups
- Provide Funds to Women Entrepreneurs.
- Increase women representation at executive level in all branches of the government and the private sector.
- Sports: International Academy for Sports, Sports Lottery and sports stadias across the country.
- Music: Establish International Centre for Arts and Culture and Programme to Identify, nature and Develop Music.
- Expand the Youth Enterprise Development Fund.
- Establish social protection fund for cash transfer to Orphans and Vulnerable children (OVC), persons with Disabilities (PWD) and elderly.
- Full implementation of Disability Fund.
Labor and Employment Sector
- Development of Human Resource Database.
- Productivity improvement, measurement and promotion.
- Strategic management and coordination.
- Transformation of National Social Secuty Fund (NSSF).
- Develop and implement Diaspora policy.
- Strengthen linkages between industry and institutions.
- Identification of talents in education sector.
- Retrain and redirect excess Human Resource
Education & Training Sector
- Build at least one boarding school in each constituency in the pastoral regions.
- Build and fully equip 560 new secondary schools.
- Implement a computer supply programme.
- Roll out a voucher system in five poorest districts.
- Create centers of Excellence for key Vision 2030 sectors.
- Undertake a teachers recruitment programme.
Equity & Poverty Elimination
- Develop an integrated national strategy to promote good governance and effectiveness of devolved funds.
- Improve data collection to map out the spread of the poor throughout the country and to create profiles of the poor and their pressing needs.
- Formulate targeted programmes and projects in light of the data profiles established.
- Establishment of forensic laboratory.
- Installation of surveillance cameras in Nairobi, Nakuru and Kisumu.
- Construction of six new prisions in Mwingi, Nyamira, Kwale, Rachuonyo, Vihiga and Kaloleni.
- Establishment of a National Security Database
- Revitalize and integrate Community Health Centers to promote preventive health care.
- De-link the ministry of Health from service delivery to allow independent operation of tiers 4, 5 and 6 (District, Provincial and National hospitals).
- Create a mandatory National Health Insurance Scheme (with contribution from employers and employees).
- Channel Health funds directly to health care centers (i.e. to hospitals and CHCs).
- Scale up Output Based Approach (OBA) system.
Enviroment, Water & Sanitation
- Tana and Lake Victoria catchment initiatives.
- Rehabilitate 600 hydro meteorological stations.
- Develop two multipurpose water conservation structures along Nzoia and Nyando rivers.
- Develop 24 medium sized multi-purpose dams.
- Rehabilitate and augment Mzima pipeline.
- Implement Tana Delta initiatives.
- Expedite rehabilitation of the Bura irrigation scheme.
- Implement sewage initiative.
- Water catchment management.
- Secure wildlife corridors and migratory routes.
- Relocating of Dandora dumping site.
- Land cover and land use mapping.
- Dredging and deepening of Mombasa port.
- Rehabilitation and expansion of Kisumu Airport.
- Nairobi Metropolitan region bus transit system.
- Development of light rail for Nairobi and suburbs.
- Development of new transport corridors.
- Weather modification programme and Meteorological systems modernisation programme.
- Construction industry development policy.
- Public utility management system.
- Rural electrification programmes.
- Solar Electricity Generators to 74 public institutions.
- Energy access scale-up programme.
- Booster pump station for Nairobi – Mombasa pipeline.
- Parallel pipeline from Nairobi to Eldoret.
- Extension of 352km oil pipeline from Eldoret to Kampala.
- Construction of LPG handling facility in Mombasa and Nairobi.
- Appraisal drilling project to ascertain quality and viability of coal deposit in Mui Basin of Kitui and Mwingi.
- Appraisal drilling at Olkaria and Wind power generation.
- Co-generation of power in processing of sugar.
- Implementation of 330KV transmission line project between Arusha and Nairobi.