fortune-of-africa-countries-air-flightkenya banner
Health Sector Profile

Health Sector Profile

In 2010, there were about 8,780 health institutions; 5,067 private health institutions (PHIs) and 3,713 public health institutions. The public sector owns and runs 53 percent of all health facilities while the private sector owns and runs the remaining 47 percent. Private sector facilities tend to focus more on curative services. They also provide services, such as laboratory and imaging services, which are not usually available in public health facilities because they are generally better equipped and resourced.

Characteristics of the sector

  • Malaria is the leading cause of outpatient morbidity in Kenya,
  • Non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases and cancers, and their related risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and excessive bodyweight are increasing in Kenya
  • Reduced infant and under five mortality rates
  • Increased contraceptive use but high fertility rate
  • Health worker: patient ratio is still low
  • Proportion of children fully immunized against communicable diseases increased

National Health Challenges

  • High burden of communicable diseases (especially HIV/AIDS, malaria, TB and pneumonia)
  • Maternal mortality rate
  • Infant mortality rate
  • Increase in lifestyle diseases such as Cancer, diabetes and hypertension
  • Geographic, economic and social cultural barriers in accessing health
  • Constraints in human resources for health sector
  • Inadequate financing
  • Poor infrastructure
  • High poverty incidence
  • Lack of safe drinking water