Yamoussoukro Cityis the official political capital and administrative capital city of Ivory Coast. Located 240 kilometers north-west of Abidjan, the administrative centre on the coast, it is the fourth most populous city in Ivory Coast after Abidjan, Bouaké and Daloa.
History of the City
In 1909, on the orders of the Chief of Djamlabo, the Akoué revolted against the administration and Bonzi station, seven kilometres from Yamoussoukro and was set on fire. The French administrator, Simon Maurice was spared only by the intervention of Kouassi N’Go. As the situation returned to normal Simon Maurice decided to transfer the French military station to Yamoussoukro.
Here the French Administration built a pyramid as a memorial to Kouassi N’Go, Chief of the Akoué, and in homage to Yamousso, N’Gokro was renamed Yamoussoukro. In 1919, the civil station of Yamoussoukro was removed and Félix Houphouët-Boigny became the leader of the village in 1939.
Yamoussoukro remained in the shadows until after the war. It then saw the creation of the African Agricultural Trade Union. But it was only with Independence that Yamoussoukro finally became the capital city of Ivory Coast.
Yamoussoukro City covers an area of 3,500 km² with an estimated population of over 200,000 people.
Yamoussoukro is a major transport hub which include; buses, mini buses and taxis
Attractions in Yamoussoukro City
The following are major tourist attractions of Yamoussoukro City
- Basilica of Our Lady of Peace of Yamoussoukro
- Saint Paul’s Cathedral
- Tai National Park
- San Pedro harbor
Information about Yamoussoukro City has been summarized as follows;
Pubs in Yamoussoukro