General customs regime incentives
The Investment Code provides for one general regime under which the various customs and tax benefits of the Investment Code may be granted.
Outside the mining, hydrocarbon, banking and insurance sectors, an investment will benefit from the following customs advantages if it is approved and classified by the ANAPI as an eligible investment in accordance with the Investment Code:
- With the exception of the administrative tax of 5%, companies enjoy a total exemption from all import duties on the import of machinery, new tools, equipment and new spare parts up to a maximum amount of 10% of the CIF (Cost, Insurance and Freight) value of the equipment in question if it is used for public utility investment purposes;
- A total exemption from export duties and taxes for all or part of finished, worked or semi-finished products; and
- A total exemption from all tax and customs duties on second hand heavy engines, ships and aircrafts.
Exemptions from duties and taxes on imports can only be granted if one of the following conditions is met
(a) If the product concerned cannot be produced in the DRC; or
(b) If the duty-free price of the product produced locally is 10% above the price of the same imported product.
General tax regime incentives
- Total exemption from professional contributions on benefits realized by newly approved investments for a certain number of years, which is determined on a case by case basis;
- Total exemption from professional tax on income for profits made by approved investments;
- Digressive amortisation for socio-economic infrastructure investments, such as schools, hospitals, sporting facilities and roads, realised under approved projects;
- Exemption from corporate tax and tax on share capital;
- Exemption from ad valorem duty on the constitution or increase in the authorised share capital of a limited liability company;
- Exemption from land tax (on land concessions and developed properties); and
- Exemption from tax on turnover realised inside the country for products and services bought from local producers.