Gross Domestic Product 2012
GDP (purchasing power parity): $ 19.27billion (2012 est.)
GDP real growth rate: 4.9%
GDP per capita (PPP): $4,700
GDP composition by sector
Inflation: 9.8% in February of 2013
Currency: Central African CFA franc
The commercial languages include the following
- Republic of Congo has approximately a total of 5,138 kilometres of railroads.
- Highways, there are 145,000 kilometer highways of which 2,500 kilometers are paved.
- Water ways, there are 15,000 kilometres of water ways including the Congo River and its tributaries
- Ports and harbors include; Banana, Boma, Bukavu, Bumba, Goma, Kalemie, Kindu, Kinshasa, Kisangani, Matadi, Mbandaka
Energy in Republic of Congo
The major sources of energy in Republic of Congo include; geothermal, biomass, solar, wind, natural gas, oil, and hydro power
Challenges facing Republic of Congo
- Corruption and poor governance
- Inadequate infrastructure especially for transport
- Poor leadership
- Lack of freedom of press
- Overgrazing and other poor farming practices worsen the problem of soil erosion and desertification in some areas.
- Political unrest
- Ethnic conflicts due to economic interest
- Forced labour and displacement