Bangui is the capital city of the Central African Republic and its largest city. It was established in 1889 and named for its placement on the northern bank of the Ubangi River. Bangui is boadered by the Bangui Bay on the north, the Municipality of Burgos on the west, Pagudpud on the northeast, Dumalneg on the east and Adams on the southeast
History of the City
It was established as a French outpost in 1889 and named for its placement on the northern bank of the Ubangi River. Bangui retained its importance as a military and administrative center when the colony was folded into French Equatorial Africa and under both Vichy and Free French control during World War II. The French operated a radio transmitter in Bangui, which was described in 1932 as “the most remote radio station in Africa.
The colony of Ubangi-Shari received its autonomy in 1958 as the Central African Republic and this became independent from France in 1960. In 1970, President Jean-Bédel Bokassa inaugurated the University of Bangui. He established the national airline Air Centrafrique the following year and ordered the construction of two new luxury hotels in Bangui.
Bangui City covers an area of 67 km2 with an estimated population of over 734,350 people.
Mayors of Bangui City
Mayor Nazaire Guenefe Yalanga
Bangui is the transport hub of the Central African Republic. River ferries sail from the river port at Bangui to Brazzaville and Zongo. The river can be navigated most of the year between Bangui and Brazzaville. From Brazzaville, goods are transported by rail to Pointe-Noire. There are also buses and taxis used on the roads in the city.
Attractions in Bangui City
The following are major tourist attractions of Bangui City
- Basse-Lobaye Forest
- Centre Artisanal
- Chutes de Boali
- Musee de Boganda
- Perroni Gallery