Securing Land Rights in Burundi
Rights to land are acquired by inheritance (males only), purchase, donation, lease, and government allocation.
There are five steps to register the sale of land:
- Parties obtain proof of title at the Land Registry;
- Parties engage a lawyer to draft the sale agreement, and each party signs;
- Buyer checks the price at the land registry;
- The Public Notary notarizes the sale agreement
- Parties file for a name change with the Land Registry.
The registration process requires an average of 94 days and payment of 6.3% of the property value in fees.