Key Players in Energy Sector
Directorate for Production and Distribution of Water and Electricity (REGIDESO)
Directorate for Production and Distribution of Water and Electricity (REGIDESO) is state controlled.
Its assignment is to ensure production, transportation, distribution and commercialisation of electricity and drinking water in urban areas or rural centres.
It is endowed with financial autonomy and is under the supervision of the Ministry of Water, Energy and Mining. REGIDESO exploits by itself 96.5% of the hydro power installed at national level.
Directorate General of Hydraulics and Rural Electrification (DGHER)
Directorate General of Hydraulics and Rural Electrification (Office of Management of Water and Rural Electrification) is the government organ in charge of water and electrification of rural areas. It is a department of the Ministry of Rural Planning, in charge of the rural area electrification. DGHER produces 1.5% of the overall electricity.
- Directorate General of Hydraulics and Rural Electrification DGHER is responsible for coordinating all activities for water supply and energy in rural areas
- managing government budgets and programs for rural electrification
- selling electricity produced from rural facilities or purchased from REGIDESO
- providing services to third parties for project development
- managing all authorized grants from donors
Directorate General of Water and Energy DGEE
Directorate General of Water and Energy DGEE is responsible for preparing sector policy and legislative and regulatory texts.
It plans and coordinates the sector’s activities, defines priorities, formulates investment programs, controls operation of the power utility, oversees the permanent secretariat of the national energy commission, and prepares tariff policy.
National Water and Energy Commission (CNEE)
The CNEE (National Water and Energy Commission) was created to:
- coordinate the activities of the various executing agencies and participating institutions in the water and energy sectors
- propose legislation to promote water resources
- establish standards and norms; ensure the protection of water and energy resources
National Agency of Peat (ONATOUR)
ONATOUR (National Agency of Peat) is another public company with the government holding 100% of the shares. Its assignment is the exploitation of peat in Burundi.
International Society for Electricity in the Great Lakes (SINELAC)
Another supplier of electricity is SINELAC (International Society for Electricity in the Great Lakes). SINELAC was established as a joint venture by Burundi, Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo to develop and operate international electricity projects and supplies electricity to REGIDESO.