UTC Bushenyi was founded in 1956 as Kahaya Memorial Rural Trade School by the then Ankole Kingdom. It underwent several changes until 1984 when it was upgraded to a technical school and renamed Uganda Technical College Bushenyi. It is also a recognised public tertiary institution under the ministry of Education and Sports.
UTC Bushenyi currently has six departments offering several study programmes to a student body of 384. The departments include the following;
- Applied Science & Computer Studies
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial Ceramics
- Mechanical Engineering