Mbale Town is located in the eastern region of Uganda approximately 245km from Kampala City.
In 2011, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of Mbale Town at about 91,800.
The following are the key attractions around the town:
- Mount Elgon National Park on the border with Kenya
- Bulegeni and Butandinga Cliffs/Ridges found about 50 Km south-east of Mbale Town.
- Bufumbo and Wanala Forest Reserves are found at the ridges, about 5 Km East of Mbale Town.
- Cultural / Heritage Sites of Semei Kakungulu Tombs about 5 Km on the Mbale-Soroti Road
- The Mutoto Circumcision site in Mbale Municipality.
- Simu and Sisi Falls that are found in Sironko County within Mbale District.
- Bulukyeke – Bukigai Hills, a historical campsite dating to the colonial period and has. facilities including a permanent tile-roofed shelter and toilets.
- Mount Elgon
- Kakoro Rock Paintings.
Mbale Town is a boda-boda (bicycle) capital of Africa. There are too many bicycles in town which has forced the municipality to license them and issue them with number plates . Other means of transport include 14 seater commutter vans , motorcycles and special hire vehicles.