Security of Investment
The indicators of security in Uganda include:
1. Guaranteed under the Constitution and the Investment Code Act Cap 92 Laws of Uganda 2000 edition.
2. Uganda is a signatory to major international investment related institutions such as:
• Multi lateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA).
• Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) of USA.
• Convention on the recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral award (CREFAA).
• Islamic Corporation for the Insurance of Investment and Export Credit (ICIEC).
• ICSID, TRIMS, GATS, and TRIPS.
Uganda became a member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA) since 1992. Under this agency, foreign investors can insure their investment in Uganda against a wide range of non-commercial risks including expropriation, currency transfers, breach of contract and civil strife. Investment guarantees include the following:
Overseas Investment Insurance Scheme
The scheme provides insurance cover for UK companies against the perceived political risks of investing in foreign markets.
Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
An agreement signed in 1998 with the above US agency seeks to guarantee American investment in Uganda.
Uganda has also signed bilateral investment protection agreements with a number of other countries.