Education Sector page of South Sudan
The mission of the government of South Sudan is to make the education completely accessible and affordable to the population as the education is expected to play a vital role in equipping the citizens with the necessary skills and knowledge for the development of the country.
Ministry of general education and instruction
The ministry has a mission to provide education for all people equally and aim to provide a life-long education of quality for all children, youth and adults of South Sudan; an education that is relevant and affordable based on the needs and aspirations of the people, to enable them to become responsible and productive citizens.
The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology performs the following functions and duties:
- Inspection and supervision of general education at all levels to ensure proper performance.
- Coordinate and administer schools feeding programmes.
- Registration of education and training institutions.
- Manage South Sudan schools and university examinations and other educational certification.
- Provide and manage technical training and teacher training institutes.
- Rehabilitation of schools and other educational institutes alone or in coordination with foreign donors, UN agencies and NGOs.
- Preparation and development of curricula for primary and secondary schools.
- Coordination of RSS and State government education policies and strategies.
- Formulate an adult literacy policy.
- Expand basic education through recruitment of teachers, curriculum development, increase the number of schools, accelerate learning and literacy programmes.
- Improve enrolments, equity and quality of delivery throughout the educational sector.
- Improve gender equity through the implementation of activities that increase the enrolment and retention of females.
- Enhance education governance and management at State and County levels.
- Strengthen educational infrastructure.
- Establish and develop institutes of higher education that will produce manpower with relevant skills.
- Determine the requirements for, and provide facilities and curriculum for the promotion of special needs education.
- Supervise the training, development and management of teachers at all education levels.
- Support the South Sudan Examination Council.
- Supervision of the student athletic and cultural activities; and
- Advise and support States and local governments in their responsibilities for education and build their capacity to assume all functions vested by the Constitution and RSS policy.
Ministry of higher education, research science and technology
The Ministry has a mandate to implement policies, plans, programs, and general coordination of higher education, science and technology in tertiary institutions in the Republic of South Sudan (RSS)
- Equitable access to tertiary institutions in South Sudan
- Improve and expand infrastructures of existing HEIs
- Develop effective and efficient management system and service deliver in HEIs
- Solicit funding to manage HEIs in South Sudan
- Promote private sector and bilateral donors investment in tertiary education
- Establish a legal and policy framework for higher education institutions
- License private HEIs and evaluate programs
- Align HEI operated by other line Ministries
- Ensure that HEIs meet national, regional and global market demands
- Promote research, science and technological innovation and skills transfers for national, regional and global development
- Strengthen cultural ties through partnerships and bilateral donors.
Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports
The vision of the Ministry is to transform South Sudan into a culturally harmonious and vibrant society where ethnic and cultural diversity of her people is a source of strength, unity and pride, to be a pioneer in the development and empowerment of the youth of South Sudan through the provision of education and lifelong skills and safeguard their physical, moral and intellectual wellbeing and to ensure their effective and patriotic participation in the affairs of South Sudan.
The Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sports performs the following functions and duties:
- Promote cultural heritage and identity.
- Foster cultural interaction between different parts of South Sudanese society.
- Promote the spiritual, mental, physical and professional preparation of youth in South Sudan.
- Lay down general policies, by-laws and plans of action for the promotion of youth, sports and cultural activities and projects in South Sudan.
- Establish, promote and equip libraries.
- Protect and preserve tangible and intangible cultural heritage records of South Sudan.
- Upervise South Sudan Youth Services.
- Develop general policies on and promotion of youth development.
- Supervise all youth organizations and centres and hostels in South Sudan.
- Establish and maintain the South Sudan archives, museums and art galleries.
- Identify, gazette, maintain and oversee national monuments.
- Promote and conduct inter-state youth sports activities.
- Coordinate and technically support organized forces in concerned sports and cultural activities.
- Coordinate with the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology in the area of sports and culture in schools.
- Liaise and provide inputs to national bodies responsible for sports, youth and culture; and
- Advise and support states and local governments in their responsibilities for culture, youth and sports and build their capacity to assume all functions vested by the Constitution and RSS policy.
The education sector of South Sudan has been summarized to include the following