Côte d’Ivoire is the number one economy in the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) and second economic power of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and is the gateway to this large market of 300 million people. Fully focused on economic development, Côte d’Ivoire’s objective is to join the ranks of emerging countries by 2020. Within this framework, the National, Development Plan (NDP 2012- 2015) devotes nearly 22 billion USD to investment, of which 60% come from the private sector. This strategy has already proved effective as there are signs of economic growth:
Cote d’ Ivore offers the following sectoral investment opportunities
Public Works, Infrastructures and Environment
- Building restoration.
- Construction of railways, roads and bridges.
- Abidjan urban train.
- Construction of the wholesale market.
- Construction of council and luxury housing.
- Restoration and cleaning of Cocody bay.
- Development of Banco bay.
- Waste management.
- Drinking water conveyance…
Mining, energy and hydrocarbons
- Oil and gas mine detection and extraction.
- Solar energy development.
- Construction of a hydrocarbon warehouse.
- Extension of electricity transport and distribution network…
- Exploitation and transformation of the mining and energy products
Tourism and Transport
- Construction of the Abidjan Olympic Complex.
- Construction of 3 star and 5 star hotels.
- Development of the Abidjan lagoon bay area…
Raw material rendering plants (palm oil, cashew nut, rubber, cocoa, coffee).
- Oil and energy product rendering industry.
- Construction of electronic/electric equipment plants.
- Restoration, creation and transfer of industrial zones…
Education and Healthcare
- Construction of student complexes and residencies.
- Creation of libraries and electronic documentation centers.
- Construction of hospitals and healthcare centers.
- Construction of high schools and classrooms.
- Construction, equipment and operation of the nuclear medicine center.
- Equipment and operation of the Abidjan national radiotherapy and medical oncology center
- Drugs and pharmaceutical products
- Investment opportunities exist in areas such as assembly line industries, maintenance and repair of agricultural equipments and tools, as well as many other goods, manufacture of machines and electronic components, agricultural chemistry (fertilizers).
- Construction of the Abidjan agricultural technopoles (agropoles).
- Rice, corn, soya and food crop production…
Real Estate Sector
- With the coming in of stability in Ivory Coast there is a huge and viable requirement property. There is a wide gap between the supply and demand which has become more and more apparent with each passing year soon impeded efforts to promote building. To alleviate this problem and counteract the illegal squatting and precarious neighbourhoods, the Ministry of Construction and Urbanism recently launched an operation to improve the supply of a wide range of land in urban areas so as to make them more accessible. Thus there is an opportunity for investment in this sector.
- Building and construction equipment and materials
For more reading